Saturday, November 19, 2011

DON'T TOUCH THE ART 9/12/11

As some of you may know Allison, aka the indentured servant, has her degree in Art and has moved in with us to pursue art full time. Well we found out that one of the art museums has pay what you can Wednesdays and also student discounts. Neill wanted to go, so we decided Sat. would be a great day. There was way more art there than I expected. Right away when we got to the paintings Allison ran up and starting gesturing closely to the painting, pointing out the colors, brush strokes, and different techniques. Let me say that again "gesturing closely" not touching. Well a security person came over and asked her to step back saying it looks like she is touching the art to the cameras.
One of the strangest things about going to an art museum with an artist (well at least with Allison) was how quickly she flew around the rooms. I was expecting that I would be waiting impatiently for her to look at each and every brush stroke, identify each and every color in each painting, and recalling all of her art classes about every painting and artist. I guess it is because she knows what she likes and those details that take me a few minutes to review and capture, only take her seconds. Well as she whizzed about that security lady followed her. When we got to the main exhibit she saw a painting that she wanted to check out on the other side of a few columns and she popped right over. She was quickly told that she should not have done that.
I guess art museums aren't really for artist. How amazing would it be if museums were a little be more laid back and fun. No one is reading the plaques--they all have the audio tours in their ears. I think it would be ok for people to talk and laugh and enjoy the art.
At the end of the exhibit there was a children's area which was amazing. I wish more of the exhibit was like the children's area. They had boxes with different scents for you to smell and match with different paintings that were in the exhibit. There was also an area for dressing up and a drawing area. I went over there, grabbed the biggest black hat, put it on, plopped down on the tiny child's chair, stuck out my lower lip in a pouting way and asked Allison to sketch me with the crayons provided. So of course she began sketching me for the hundredth time.
Not to long after a man was exiting and decided to check out her art work. He seems a little unsure if he could stay but after seeing Neill standing there and watching he decided to watch her finish. The drawing was clearly inspired by me but seemed more like a little piggy girl pouting. It was very very cute, but I was thinking while she was drawing that we should leave the drawing for others to see and wonder "who did that?" Well that guy quickly told Allison how good it looked and asked her to sketch his dogs. Of course she said yes. Then the guy noticed that I didn't grab the drawing of me and asked if he could take it, so I said yes as did Allison. So long long story short some guy has a drawing of me in his house. Is that weird, or what? Neither of us took a picture of the drawing, so sorry you don't get to see it. Check out her art here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment