Saturday, November 19, 2011

Our End of Summer Trips 8/31/11


With school starting back this week I have decided to tell you how much fun we have been having at the end of this summer. It was a little hectic going every weekend, driving (well riding for me) over a dozen hours each weekend and taking the dogs (or leaving them with the indentured servant, thanks Allison!). Neill and I both agree that even though we may be tired we feel like the weekend is longer and more enjoyable when it is full of activities as compared to those weekends where we veg out on the couch and watch all of True Blood or Dexter (yes, we have done that).

Hi Kristin!
Our first trip (first weekend in Aug) was to one of our college friend's son's first birthday party. They live in south Louisiana, so we made a trip to Neill's parents in north Louisiana on Friday after work then got up on Sat and drove the rest of the way. We were lucky enough to spend the day with our friends that we rarely get to see. Kristin told me that she had been blogging at Our Growing Garden and after reading all of her's I decided to create my own so if you like mine you should check her's out (or if you don't like mine and want something else to read check her's out). We were so lucky that Neill's parents were able to keep the dogs while we got to hang out with our friends.

Hiking picture


We are also so lucky that my aunt and uncle have a house on the Beaver Lake in Arkansas. They love sharing their large lake house with family and friends, so the second weekend in Aug. we loaded up the car (2 kayaks on top, 2 dogs, Neill, myself, Allison and her art supplies) and headed out. This was the first weekend for me to try out my new kayak and I love it! Audi however still prefers Neill's kayak--yes, our dog rides on the kayak (on the towel). We were hoping that Drizzt (who has webbed toes too) would start loving the water. After Neill pushed him off the boat dock and he some how made a B-line to shore we decided water wasn't for him. Audi on the other hand LOVES, absolutely LOVES the water; as my uncle said "that's the most swimmingest dog I've ever seen." With Audi somewhat tired from swimming, we brought Drizzt hiking along a cliff and up a small mountain. After being nervous about the cliff's edge I realized Drizzt LOVES this. He was great, not pulling you when you needed to watch your step and would pull when you wanted help up the mountain. It was an awesome weekend, and I can't wait for us to go back.

The third weekend we left the dogs with our indentured servant while we went to dauphin island, AL. Neill's family has been going there for years and we were able to get off Mon and have 3 days there. We brought our sea kayaks and finally got to try them on the open sea. It was amazing. The water was perfect for sea kayaking (not so great for boogie board/body surfing). On Monday morning we got out there early enough to be just feet from dolphins. It was magical. Sorry we didn't bring our phone/cameras out on the water so there are no pictures of the 50+ dolphins that we saw.

All I can say I love my life and love the wonderful people in my life! Now I have to go wash clothes for our trip this labor day weekend to see our niece and nephew.

No comments:

Post a Comment