Saturday, November 19, 2011

Volunteering 9/26/11

This past Saturday we had the opportunity to volunteer for the Big Scoop Ice Cream Festival. I love volunteering my time; I always have. I remember in middle school and High School thinking that I was going to join Outreach International and make a difference in the world. Although I did not do that I have been involved in a number of philanthropy events. So much so that I was voted as the philanthropy chair in my sorority. That's when I found out that being a philanthropy chair and being an active volunteer are NOT the same. Maybe in the future I may try out that role again, but for now I will just be that volunteer that the leaders love to have.

Neill does not share my love for volunteering, but because he loves me, wants to spend time with me, and wants me happy, he has put in his share of volunteer hours. I think it was our Sophomore year in college that we joined Habitat for Humanity and helped start two houses. Thinking about it now I don't know why we weren't really there for the last part of it. We have driven by the finished houses and they look great. Knowing that my then boyfriend was willing to wake up early and go do manual labor for someone else was definitely a sign of husband material.
Why do I enjoy volunteering? What do I get? I was actually asked that from a man while walking back to our car on Saturday. I don't think he was even close to comprehending why anyone would want to volunteer. Yes you often get free stuff like a cool volunteer t-shirt which I get a lot of joy from. This Saturday we also got a box of Krispy Kreme donuts, a bunch of bananas, a gallon of ice cream, and chocolate syrup. But it's not about the stuff--really. I felt better about giving away some of the bananas and the donuts to a homeless guy on our way home than getting them. That is what volunteering is about: giving of yourself to make others smile. It's a great way to meet wonderful caring people. It really just impossible to put into words. If you are thinking I am crazy find a way to volunteer, put a smile on your face, and go see what it is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment